2.5.20

quarantine diaries: on finding motivation



Everyone I've spoken to has struggled this week, maybe it was something in the air or the dreary weather? Or maybe it was the sheer fact we're narrowly approaching the 7 week mark of lockdown and reality has become skewed. So in a way to combat my own lack of motivation, I thought I would share some things I do when I really struggle to move. A little reference post for myself that hopefully will be of help to some of you too. Hope you're all good and happy Saturday. 

1) Brush your teeth and wash your face.
I have a weird thing with brushing my teeth, I never fully feel clean until I've scrubbed my teeth clean in the morning. Especially when I'm in a funk,  it seems to sort me out. Likewise I find washing my face and committing to a bit of skin care helps, it's like hitting refresh on a frozen website.

2) Coffee. 
I'm a big coffee drinker, its one of the things I miss the most about pre-lockdown life. Nevertheless, when I find myself scrolling Instagram instead of working it sometimes helps to step away from the screen, head downstairs and make a yummy coffee. I think part of this is realising that you're not working as effectively, owning it and doing something about it. 

3) Getting changed.
This sounds really ridiculous. but I've been living in my trackies recently, everyday I make the swift transition from pajamas to tracksuit bottoms. There's nothing wrong with it and I love the comfort, but on days where I am really struggling it certainly helps to put a nice pair of trousers on in an effort to feel a little more human. 

4) Good food.
I find myself craving bad food in these moods too. Incessantly snacking on foods trying to distract myself. I've been trying to stick to good meal times, eating breakfast at 10, lunch at 1.30 and dinner at around 6.30/7. Call me crazy for planning my day around my food, but it does help create structure! I've also been trying to eat as well as I can and defo eating a lot of avocados lol. 

5) Switching off. 
And I mean properly switching off. We've all completely thrown screen time worries out the window as our reality becomes digital. That being said, I'm finding I sleep much better if I switch off and completely stop working at 5/6ish. It allows my eyes a break and helps me to differentiate between work and fun, because that's the real issue for me. 

7 comments

  1. I love these tips, esp coffee and getting changed make such a huge huge difference.
    https://sputniksweetheartn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know! Honestly makes a world of difference x

      Delete
  2. I love this list! You and I are a lot similar when it comes to teeth and getting changed in the morning. Gosh that last week was hard for me too I don’t know how I managed to get out of the emotional joyride that was. Well, I know I just let my feelings do them but still it was hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I'm glad I'm not the only one! There was definitely something in the air last week, here's to a better week this week x

      Delete
  3. These are really good tips, I've been trying to implement some of these too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding it so hard to just do normal things! but hey rolling with it, hope youre good and got your deadlines done! x

      Delete

thank you x